Personnel involved in drilling / workover operation who are preparing to attend a well control school for the first time. This course must be taken prior to attending the IWCF Drilling Well Control course as per new IWCF regulations. Candidates that choose to attend the IWCF Drilling Well Control following this Introduction to Well Control may be eligible for a discount.
The Introduction to Well Control is also suitable for personnel who are unfamiliar with drilling and workover operations and would like a basic introduction to well control.
For current course dates to view our course schedule, or you can go straight to BOOKINGS to book a course.
The Introduction to Well Control course provides potential well control certificate candidates with an awareness of well control theory, practices and equipment using a combination of drilling simulator and classroom theory/exercises.
Candidates sit an IWCF Introduction to Well Control examination at the end of the course and must pass with a mark over 70% to achieve a certificate and progress to IWCF Drilling Well Control.
- Introduction to the drilling rig and its equipment (hoisting, rotating, circulating and Blow Out Prevention (BOP) systems)
- Controlling the well
- Kicks – what is a kick, what causes a kick?
- Fluids and pressures
- How to complete a trip sheet
- The trip tank system
- Basic tripping calculations
- Shut-in methods (drilling and tripping)
- Tea/coffee and snacks each day.
AU$ 2,850 (incl. GST), 5 day full course